Therapeutic massage aims at the well-being and enhances the curative properties of the body. This is achieved by mobilizing the soft tissues (skin, fascia, muscles, and tendons) and the relaxation of the muscle spasms that interpolate in good blood supply. In this way, systemic waste (lactic and uric acid etc.) is removed and necessary nutrients (e.g. oxygen) are deposited in the affected area. Thus, cure is promoted while injuries are prevented.
Nowadays, there are 70 different kinds of therapeutic massage, with Hippocrates, father of medicine (4th century BC), first observing that among others, massage improved muscle tone and increased mobility and flexibility.
In our centre, our long experience in the services of therapeutic massage has contributed in the selection and combination of the most necessary appropriate techniques, out of 7 types of massage, so that each time we achieve the best possible result for your needs. The duration of each session varies, depending on the requirements of the case, among 30, 60 and 90 minutes.
Types of therapeutic massage
Therapeutic methods consist of:
- Sports massage
- Swedish massage
- Trigger point therapy massage
- Deep tissue massage
- Manual lymphatic drainage massage
- Myofascial release massage
Conditions helped by therapeutic massage
- Pain in the joints and the spine
- Tendinopathy e.g. epicondylitis, tennis elbow etc.
- Muscle spasm, cramps
- Neuralgia: sciatica, neck pain, carpal tunnel syndrome etc.
- Colon disorders e.g. IBS
Intense Therapeutic Massage
The primary aim of intense therapeutic massage is to make an individual feel healthier. By using techniques of sports massage, trigger point therapy massage, and myofascial release massage it manages to reduce the pain and rigidity that arise from constant muscle strain or injury.
At a fundamental level, the movements are distributed at the deeper layers of the muscles and aim at the release of the muscle spasms through static or dynamic pressure. Any discomfort that may arise during the execution is shortly followed by a feeling of well-being and relaxation. Microcirculation is improved, facilitating in reducing swelling (oedema), and the creation of scarred or fibrous tissue. All this helps towards faster cure, performance and injury prevention.
Anti-stress Therapeutic Massage
This kind of massage aims at the absolute relaxation and we are certain it will make you feel wonderful. The movements performed are soft and mild, originating from Swedish massage and manual lymphatic drainage massage, in combination with essential oils.
The aim of this type of massage is:
- To improve the circulation of vital nutrients and remove toxic waste through the increase of blood and lymph microcirculation, respectively
- To blood your immune system, since the lymph glands, which filter 2-3liters of lymph daily, are relieved
- To reduce blood pressure, since the parasympathetic system is stimulated and heart pulses rate drops
- To loosen the muscles from tightness or cold
- To cause a good night sleep, since it increases the serotonin levels in the body, which, among others, regulate sleep and mood
- To remove stress, since cortisol and other stressful hormones are reduced and serotonin is increased
Christos Skandalis, Post.Cert., MPPTA